Hereditary vs. Choice. You Have Control Over Your Health.Aug 07, 2018
This episode comes from a recent statistic that I found on the American Holistic Health Association's website. According to the AHHA, only 20% of our health is hereditary.
You hear these statements all the time, right?
"This illness runs in the family."
"I get my bad knees from my mom."
"My grandpa was overweight too."
Despite genes making up some of who we are, we can't let them define who we are.
According to this study, we have 80% control of our health. After doing my own research and self-discovery, I believe our control over our health is upwards of 90%. That is a lot of control!! So, what do we do with it? In this episode, I talk you through my ten tips to start taking control of your health and lifestyle.
"NATURAL FORCES WITHIN US ARE THE TRUE HEALERS OF DISEASE." - HIPPOCRATES
We have the power to turn on and off the expression of our genes through what we call epigenetics. Epigenetics is, "the study of cellular and physiological traits that could be inherited but are not caused by actual changes to our DNA, or genetic code" (John Hopkins Medicine). Click here for more information on epigenetics.
WHAT TURNS ON/OFF GENE EXPRESSIONS
- Not enough sleep
- Too much exercise
- Aging – the sooner you begin to be aware of these the better
- Social life
Here are ten tips that you can start implementing to create a healthier lifestyle today. These may not seem clear cut and easy, but I challenge you to take in what you can, do what feels good and is obtainable for your body.
1. YOUR THOUGHTS, LISTENING TO YOUR BODY + BEING YOUR BEST ADVOCATE FOR YOUR HEALTH
- At the end of the day, you know what is best for your body. Nobody knows your body better than you, so listen to your body + think positively as that will push you in the right direction for your health.
2. BREATHWORK, MEDITATION + DECREASE STRESS
- Even if you take a couple of deep breaths when you feel overwhelmed; that is helping you tune into your body while decreasing your stress.
- Tune into my episode with Sarah Reese as she talks you through breathing exercises that you can start incorporating into your daily life.
3. EAT ORGANIC AND GRASS-FED
- Butcher Box -- Click here to save $20 off your order + FREE bacon
- Vital Choice -- Click here to save 10% off your order
4. MOVE REGULARLY
- The key is to NOT over exercise
- Check out my podcast with Annie Tinker on what over exercising does to your body.
- Learn how fascia can affect your movement in my conversation with author, David Lesondak.
5. MINIMIZE SCREEN TIME
- At night, use a blue blocker on your computer through f.lux
- I also love using blue blocker glasses! This set has one for the day and night to decrease eye stress
6. GET GOOD, QUALITY SLEEP
- Chamomile tea is great to drink before bed to help you get a good night's sleep.
- Avoid toxicity in foods, skin products, beauty products, household products (vinegar and water work great), plastics + mercury fillings just to name some!
8. POSITIVE SOCIAL NETWORK
- Keep people in your network that positively push you forward, want to see you succeed and will be there for you when you need them.
- "When they go low, you go high."
9. GET THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENTATION SUPPORT
- Every body is different and needs different things. Visit a naturopathic doctor or your physician to see what your body needs more of!
10. INTERESTED IN GETTING DEEPER? GET GENOME TESTING!
- Click here to save 30% off through 23 and Me to learn more about your DNA!
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase by using the link. Please understand that I recommend these products because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decided to buy.
The material contained within is provided for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before beginning a new regiment or purchasing any product(s).